Monday, July 5, 2010

The first time I ever played with color

Many of you will think this video is unwatchable... fine.

I post it as a symbol of something we all should strive for.

This was the first time I ever played around with color grading. Ever. Now that's what I do for a living.

For four years I'd been playing with vhs deck to deck editing, but there was no way to make the footage look different although I tried various methods.

But within a few short years, Mini DV hit, computers got a lot faster and more affordable, I got out of High school, and all of a sudden things that weren't possible before were.

a similar change is taking place right now.

I remember rendering the first few clips and playing them back. This little project back in 2004 filled me with an excitement I've been recapturing ever since. some of you will scoff at this, but others will remember similar break throughs on their own projects when you learned how to do something you never thought you could do before. That's what I'm talking about.

There are lots of different people saying different things about the new DSLR's and the digital revolution. The fact is that technology is changing again, and things that were never possible before suddenly are. People in the industry scoff at it sometimes because they don't need cheaper smaller cameras. But on the ground floor are thousands of individuals like you who don't have all the tools.
SCARCITY BREEDS CREATIVITY- So what does this mean?

It means that a lot of people are going to spend lots of money on cameras and equipment thinking they're going to make hollywood quality feature films- and then fail. not because the equipment lacks the power but because they do.

But some won't fail, because there's something rooted deep inside of them that fills them with excitement and drives them forward. They'll create new ways of doing things and new techniques with the tools they have- and they'll succeed.
Why?
Passion.
You do what you love because you have to. Its like breathing for them.

So here's to progress, passion, and creativity. Never surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment